Sunday, February 21, 2010

VARANASI: Jan 2009

My first visit to Varanasi (Benaras) was probably in the year 1995. I was only 15 then and had gone to visit my elder sister who was then pursuing her graduation at Benaras Hindu University. I remember, the first sight of the city outside the railway station wasn't pleasant at all. It was crowded, dirty and noisy. Sitting in an autorikshaw, on the way to the BHU campus, I was pretty much amazed at the variety of human activites going on along the city streets and the number of temples I had seen in that short 20 minutes journey through the city. Although it was only a day's visit, I had already made up my mind that I was going to come back to this city again.

January 1st 2009, my three aunts and uncles, my mother and myself were finally at Varanasi. My family had readily accepted my invitation to join me on the 5 day long trip. It was a chance for them to visit one of the holiest Hindu pilgrimage centres in the world, to seek the blessings of Kashi Vishwanath. I was not much keen on visiting either the Kashi Vishwanath temple or praying for blessings. Firstly, because I am an atheist and secondly, because cameras are not allowed in any of the temples. My mother is fully aware of my interests and so she never pushed me to accompany her to the temples. By the time we reached the hotel that night, it was already too late and I was desperately waiting for the next morning to run to Ghats- the famous Ghats of Varanasi.









I had always wanted to spend some days at Varanasi, photographing the Ghats, and this was my golden opportunity- 4 days, no other itinerary. I had even withdrawn myself from accompanying my family to a day's trip to Allahabad, as I could not afford to lose a day's photo-opportunities at Varanasi for Allahabad. Allahabad better wait till the 2013 Kumbha Mela.









Well, the next 5 days in Varanasi were stupendous. I shot about 700 frames, just in and around the ghats. That was not enough though. I was not satisfied. This trip was more like a starter before a full course meal. The hunger has multiplied over the years now and I am dying to get back to Varanasi again! But as of now, preparations for the Kumbha 2010 trip to Haridwar- I just cannot wait to reach the holy city of Haridwar and photograph the biggest congregation of humans on this planet!











Hope you like the shots! Please leave your comments.

2 comments:

Sowmya said...

Story telling pics.. brings back memory of my trip to Varanasi... I don't mind going thr every year :) Awesome place...

Srikant Chakraborty said...

You are rigI even thought of taking up a flat on rent there for some time :) I am serious. Varanasi is one of my favorite cities.