Monday, April 12, 2010

DISAPPOINTMENT: Always around the corner!

I missed the Kumbha Mela 2010. After months of preparation, excitement and anticipation, I missed the Kumbha Mela, and what a reason! My train reservation status did not move even a bit from 'Waiting List 1' for the last three months! I still cannot believe this happened! I stood on the platform, watching the train slowly move out of yard with not an inch left in the train to let me travel with a WL ticket, even after being allowed by a Ticket Checker to board the train without a confirmed ticket after paying a fine.

I just could not take the risk of squeezing myself into the jam-packed compartment. I watched the sadhus with their meager belongings, making themselves comfortable at the small passage space near the lavatories and the compartment's foot board. Unfortunately I could not do the same with my heavy luggage (packed for a 3 weeks trip) and my heavy camera backpack.

Well, now that the big event is missed, I am preparing for a trip to Haridwar and from there onwards to Gangotri/ Gaumukh (via Rishikesh, Devprayag, Uttarkashi, Harsil and Gangnani) along the banks of the Holy Ganges.

Missing the Kumbha Mela this year brought out two opportunities- first, I could not have traveled as far as Gangotri in this trip as the route does not open before Akshay Tritiya, which is 16th of May this year. Now that my trip is postponed, I can travel to Gangotri and Gaumukh. Secondly, I am now even more determined to attend the MAHA KUMBHA 2013, at PRAYAG, ALLAHABAD. Its an even bigger event and I had always wanted to cover the Maha Kumbha at Prayag- its a different setting and mood if compared to Haridwar or the other two venues.

Well then, 20th May 2010, I will finally travel to Haridwar, now that I have a confirmed ticket :))

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sad to know that you missed it...
but again you have something more thrilling awaiting ahead... all the best!!! :)